Monday, November 30, 2009

Cochlear Implants Continued, Again

After my last post, I felt it necessary to touch on how much the CI has affected the Deaf community and its relation to communication. Stating the obvious is that many of the people who have gone through the surgery tend to switch from using ASL to using the oral method of English. For a person who has always grown up in the world of English-users, this may not seem like a problem. However, if you are a person who has grown up in the Deaf culture community, you're viewpoint may be different. Much of this is due to the same issues which the previous CBS article mentioned: changing a person's hearing ability also changes ones culture. This is an intense subject which I feel deserves some further thought on your part before I continue with my perspective. Think hard about what it would really mean to change the culture you grew up with; the culture you continue to be a part of today. In the meantime, I will leave you with this video...

No comments:

Post a Comment